Andaman and Nicobar Islands have many sandy beaches and coral reefs. Though Andaman waters are generally safe for swimming, snorkelling and diving, the also have few dangerous animals, which may come in conflict due to mistaken identity such as a prey or to defend their territory. Though such incidents are extremely rare, visitors are advised to observe precautions.
The Tourist Safety Enforcement Team (TSET) has been constituted at important Tourist locations for ensuring the safety of tourists especially in activities related to boat rides of Rajeev Gandhi Water Sports Complex (RGWSC), at Port Blair, North bay, Wandoor, Bharatpur Beach, Neil Island, Havelock Jetty , Baratang jetty.
For the safety of tourists, life Guards have been deployed at Rajeev Gandhi Water Sports Complex (RGWSC) at Port Blair, Ross Island, Corbyn’s Cove, Chidiyatapu, Wandoor, Baratang, Havelock, Neil, Diglipur and Hutbay.
SOS Kiosk (Emergency Assistance Booth) has been set up at Rajeev Gandhi water Sports Complex, Port Blair, Corbyn’s Cove, Havelock, Neil and Baratang, for information and guidance.
Beach Safety Tips
- Find out the safe swimming zone. Always swim where a lifeguard is on patrol and stay inside the area marked. Never swim where a sign not to, or when there is a red flag.
- Look at the safety advice. Always read and obey the safety advice they will help you to avoid potential danger on the beach, and to identify the safest areas for swimming.
- Ask a lifeguard for advice. If in doubt, it’s always best to play it safe and ask the experts.
- Get a friend to swim with you. Make sure there are other people around, because you kever know when help might be needed.
- Stick you hand and shout for help, if you are in difficulty. And if you see someone else in difficulty, tell somebody, preferably a lifeguard SOS KIOSK in the beach or find the telephone call 100 (Police)/102 (Ambulance).
- Wear right clothes for swimming.
- Drink sufficient water to avoid dehydration.
- Keep an eye on children all the time.
- Always wear life jacket while boating.
- Children should not be left unattended.
- Do not litter. Don’t throw bottles, plastics and garbage into the sea.
- Do not swim after consuming liquor.
- Do not dangle your arms and legs during boat rides.
- Shiny jewellery and bright coloured clothes resemble the fins of small fish and may attract predatory fish. Avoid such accessories and clothing while swimming.
- Potentially harmful marine animals found in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Check passenger capacity while boarding the Boat. Ensure that Tourists/crew on board is not more than the prescribed capacity.
- The Boat operator should be in sound condition, if found under influence of Liquor immediately disembark and inform TSET.